Craniosacral Therapy: Dr. Upledger’s 10 Step Protocol, Working with the Body’s Inherent Self-Correcting Mechanisms
Craniosacral Therapy is a gentle touch therapy that supports the body’s own healing systems and allows its rhythms to rebalance and align. In a session the therapist will hold gentle but consistent pressure or traction (about the weight of a nickel) to specific areas of the cranium, spine, and sacrum. Through supporting the system with the electromagnetic charge from the therapist’s hands, deep internal shifts can be made, as the body is ready. This therapy supports the body in facilitating the most important and available healing possible, because it allows the body’s “inner physician” to create the path of change, rather than the therapist. The beauty is, the body will find the way to release and align whatever it can to safely facilitate the most important changes necessary for rebalancing.
“The beauty of Craniosacral Therapy is that is works gently to facilitate the free flow and ease of movement of all the body’s fluids, membranes, muscles, and fascia.” – Lisa Upledger (wife of founder John Upledger)
The craniosacral system plays a major role in the health and wellness of the body. It protects and nourishes the brain and spinal cord, and affects most every aspect of the central nervous system’s performance. Upledger’s Craniosacral Therapy allows for release in fascia restrictions anywhere in the body that could be impinging the cranial sacral system, which will affect every other system that interacts with it. Once there is freedom and balance in the craniosacral system, all other systems improve.
Craniosacral Therapy has been show to:
- Assist in autonomic nervous system regulation and turn down the sympathetic overdrive
- Help mobilize the central nervous system and enhance its functioning, which will positively affect all other systems
- Works with the fascial network of the body releasing restrictions and allowing a cleaner translation between the body and the central nervous system.
- Assist at the interface of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system, such as at the myodural bridge where tensions through that region can be broadcast up and down the entire dural system
- Increased Range of Motion and strength, easier time with daily activities, and higher quality of life based on functional assessment tools
In the Upledger Craniosacral Therapy 10 Step Protocol Sequence the therapist will:
- Evaluate the symmetry, quality, amplitude and rate of the Cerebral Spinal Fluid rhythm in different parts of the body and head.
- Release fascial restrictions impinging the craniosacral system
- Allow for the body to self-regulate and realign tissues, bones and fluids
- Give a specific gentle touch to release constrictions in skull sutures
- Release dural tube restrictions to enhance interactions between the central nervous system and the rest of the body
- Reevaluate the symmetry, quality, amplitude, and rate of the Cerebral Spinal Fluid rhythm throughout the body to measure the changes made, and confirm that there is balance and alignment in the system
Our Lead Massage Therapist and Trainer, Alexa is now offering Craniosacral Therapy at Scents of Serenity!
Cranial Sacral Therapy Session
This healing therapy brings relief for deeper body issues, including but not limited to: weakened immune system, stress, headaches, TMJ, neck and shoulder pain, anxiety, attention disorders, learning disabilities, tinnitus, sinus issues, vertigo, memory issues, scoliosis, pelvic pain or disfunction, G.I. disorders, whiplash, poor posture, hormonal disfunction, auto-immune disorders, autism, ALS, those struggling with the inability to relax and be calm, as well as other issues affected by the central nervous system’s function and fluid exchange.